Sunday, April 18, 2010

Friendship

"I have no friend, Margaret: when I am glowing with the enthusiasm of success, there will be none to participate my joy; if I am assailed by disappointment, no one will endeavour to sustain me in dejection." (Shelly, 4).

These letters introduce the story and obviously he makes a friend when he recounts the man from the ice's story. However, before this R. Walton feels alone. He sets out on a journey to the pole by himself and feels his crew is a mere labor force. He wanted to connect on an intellectual and emotional level with a companion and somehow out in the wilderness he found someone. A fellow self-educated trail blazer of knowledge. Walton gives a different view on friendship, showing how powerful it is by noting the depression of the lack of a friend. His longing for a friend obviously foreshadowed the coming of his newly found friend Frankenstein.

1 comment: