Friday, April 23, 2010

Magic Powers?

"Great God! If for one instant I had thought what might be the hellish intention of my fiendish adversary, I would rather have banished myself forever from my native country and wandered a friendless outcast over the earth than have consented to this miserable marriage. But, as if possessed of magic powers, the monster had blinded me to his real intentions; and when I thought that I had prepared only my own death, I hastened that of a far dearer victim" (Shelley, Chapter 22).

After threats of meeting with the monster on his wedding day, Victor thinks he has met his destiny and will face an end. He failed to connect all the other deaths though, and his beloved Elizabeth was killed. He feels such pain from all the loved ones around him dying, which is what the creature must have felt in the denial of any human acceptance, even from his creator. Victor married thinking he may have had to fight the creature and die, and accepted his fate, but it was not his time yet - he still believed his fate to be inevitable.

1 comment: