Sunday, April 18, 2010

Possible Suspects: The Daemon

"a flash of lightning illuminated the object and discovered its shape plainly to me; its gigantic stature, and the deformity of its aspect, more hideous than belongs to humanity, instantly informed me that it was the wretch, the filthy demon to whom I had given life" (Shelley, 60).

Victor's brother, William, is murdered and he goes home to his family. He saw the creature outside and believes it must be him who murdered William, because no human could do such a thing to such a person. He notes how he created life in this creature but is now disgusted with it and observes how it is ugly and not human at all. His own work and creation has seemingly deceived him and worked against him, and he turns to hatred for his own experiment.

2 comments:

  1. I think the monster did it. If you're going to have a child, I feel like a common rule that you would instill is no killing. Obviously this guy missed that somewhere. I think Victor is in denial. I think he acts like he is surprised and disguste, but really I think he just knows he screwed up and thinks acting with disapproval makes him look less at fault.

    ReplyDelete